Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Nice and Hot Men of NA: Drew Callahan of One Week Girlfriend and Second Chance Boyfriend


A few weeks ago I posted about wanting recommendations for NA books with heroes who weren't controlling alpha males, and I got so many great suggestions that I think I must have bought at least ten books that day. I'm slowly working my way through them, and I'll post about them as I go!

Today I wanted to feature Drew Callahan, the hero in Monica Murphy's One Week Girlfriend and Second Change Boyfriend. I read these books back to back, and it was so much fun.




So, Drew. He's interesting. As Fable (his heroine) describes him--"he's fucked up." He's one of those damaged nice guys that I love. At the beginning of OWG, he's pretty closed off as a result of things that have happened to him in the past, but little Miss Fable (whom I also adored) cracks him open.

He could so easily have been one of those raging alphas. I mean, he's a football player. He's wealthy. He's a star in his small college town. People know his name and recognize his face (which is, of course, gorgeous). He can have any girl he wants. Ms. Murphy totally could have been excused for making him a drug-abusing womanizer.

I'm really glad she took a different path.

Drew stays away from girls. He doesn't party and drink. Emotionally, he's a bit of a wreck, but he's desperate to keep control of himself. He's sweet and poetic and wants to have a close relationship with his father. And once he's able to sort out his feelings for Fable, he's on a mission to do right by her.

He's not perfect. He has some seriously jealous and possessive impulses, especially in book two. However, what I liked is that he realized they were problematic and tried to deal with himself, because he respected Fable and her independence.

Drew has all the requisite qualities of a swoony hero. And for those of us who love our guys on the gentle-yet-fierce side, he makes for an excellent read, especially if you like a side of vulnerability along with your sexy entrée. He's earned himself a place on my NICE AND HOT MEN OF NA page.

Have you read One Week Girlfriend and Second Chance Boyfriend? Do you agree with me about Drew? Any other recommendations you'd like to offer?



1 comment:

  1. I love Drew for the same reasons. He's not your typical football player bad boy seen in fiction. Kayden from Jessica Sorensen's The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden is the same. He's even more broken than Drew.

    ReplyDelete